Domestic Travel

Key points to remember when traveling on University business. Be sure to refer to the CSU Travel Policy for complete rules and guidelines.

Travel Instructional Guide

What to do before you travel:

  • Complete a Request for Authorization to Travel form and obtain approval signature(s).
    • Note: All travel, including travel by automobile below 100 miles each way, a Request for Authorization to Travel form is required when submitting a Travel Expense Claim for mileage reimbursement.
    • Make a copy of the approved travel authorization form for yourself and send the original to SBS 345. The travel office will notify traveler/travel arranger of the travel authorization number assigned. You will need the travel authorization number in order to book travel through CalTravelStore.
  • For travel in California, print and complete a Hotel/Motel Occupancy Tax Waiver form to bring with you on your trip. (Some hotels will waive the transient occupancy tax.)

While you travel:

  • Be aware of reimbursement rules. (Refer to the CSU Travel Policy.) Also refer to the HSU Exceptions to the CSU Travel Policy for additional information specific to HSU Campus.
  • Keep your itemized receipts (hotel, meals, cab fares, parking, etc.) as well as airline boarding passes (as proof of travel).
  • Present the Hotel/Motel Occupancy Tax Waiver form to the hotel upon checking in. (Some establishments may not honor the waiver, but the potential savings to the University is worth the effort of presenting the form upon check in.) *You may be required to present your travel authorization form as proof that you are authorized to travel on your business-related trip.

What to do after completion of travel:

  • Complete a Travel Expense Claim (2018) or Travel Expense Claim (2019) form and obtain an approval signature.
  • Submit the original Travel Expense Claim form and original receipts/documents to SBS 345 (you may keep a copy for your records, but originals should be submitted).

Tips for ensuring timely processing of your Travel Expense Claim:

  • Documentation for airfare charges should contain proof of payment. Keep your boarding pass to attach to your travel expense claim, as this is proof of travel.
  • Hotel receipts must be original and "itemized" showing the daily charges.
  • Any meal $75.00 and above requires an original "itemized" receipt. If your meal is charged to your hotel bill, you must also attach the itemized receipt to your travel expense claim.
  • Any reimburseable items costing $75.00 or more requires an itemized original receipt.
  • Although you are not required to submit receipts for charges under $75.00, it is highly recommended that you keep all travel-related receipts. If in doubt, keep your receipts.
  • All Travel Expense Claims must contain an approval signature.
  • If you lost your receipt (or was not provided one), use the Lost Receipt Memo and attach with your claim.
  • An approved Request for Authorization to Travel form should have already been submitted to SBS 345 prior to travel. Indicate the Travel Authorization number on the Travel Expense Claim for easier reference.
  • Please TAPE all small receipts onto an 8.5" x 11" sized paper. (Please do not tape over printed areas since certain tapes will dissolve printed text.)
  • Keep a "copy" of your Travel Expense Claim (and supporting documents) for your records.

Banned Travel States

As of June 22, 2018, Oklahoma is on the list of banned travel states. The following states are currently subject to California’s ban of state-funded and state-sponsored travel:

  1. Alabama
  2. Kansas
  3. Kentucky
  4. Mississippi
  5. North Carolina
  6. South Dakota
  7. Tennessee
  8. Texas
  9. Oklahoma

For more information please review the updated policy ICSUAM 3601.01 | Travel Policy

The Travel policy has been updated to add the Travel Ban Update memo issued by Steve Relyea to the CSU Presidents on June 7, 2018.  A link to the memo has been added to the Resources and Reference Material section of the Policy.