Event Resources for Students

All student events have to be vetted by the Clubs & Activities Office. The Clubs & Activities Office staff will be happy to answer your questions in person (office is located in the University Center room 227), by email at clubs@humboldt.edu, or by phone at (707) 826-3776.

Clubs must submit their event application (including space reservation) via OrgSync.You can read about planning your event here. Please also explore the various HSU resources available to you as well as regulations you must follow listed below.

Clubs & Activities Office OrgSync

Cash Handling

Are you selling tickets to your event? Are you selling concessions or refreshments? Are you planning an auction or a raffle?
If you anticipate handling cash during your event review the Special Event Cash Handling Procedures.


If your event is open to public (any student/staff/faculty from the camus and/or community members from off-campus can attend it) and food is going to be served, there are a few options for where to order the food!

Green Events and/or Zero Waste Events

HSU is committed to zero waste, a strategy that takes a ‘whole systems’ approach to eliminate the volume and toxicity of waste going to the landfill. Zero waste encourages source reduction, materials re-use, composting and recycling.

Most event organizers at HSU are now making their events zero waste! Follow the simple guidelines below and thank you for your commitment to HSU's zero waste goal!

Hospitality Policy

“Hospitality expenses must be directly related to, or associated with, the active conduct of official HSU business. When an employee acts as an official host, the occasion must, in the best judgment of the approving authority, serve a clear HSU business purpose, with no personal benefit derived by the official host or other employees.

Internet and WiFi

HSU students and employees can connect their private and HSU laptops and smartphones to a free and secure wireless network called eduroam anywhere on campus by using their HSU user name and password. eduroam allows students, researchers and staff from participating institutions to access the internet across campus and when visiting other participating institutions by simply opening their laptop or other mobile device.

Other Considerations

Streets around HSU campus (LK Wood Blvd, 14th Street, Union Street) and Redwood Park are the property of the City of Arcata. Their use for any event requires an application with City of Arcata. Visit City of Arcata Special Events website to obtain the appropriate event application. Questions should be directed to the City of Arcata at (707) 822-5951.


Parking and Meter regulations are in effect every week throughout the year regardless of breaks in instruction. This includes permit and meter requirements between sessions, Fall and Spring breaks, and Winter Recess.


There are many ways promote and publicize your event on and off campus. You can submit information about your event to campus digital services, create posters and fliers, utilize the campus radio stations and the student newspaper, just to name a few. For a comprehensive list of ways to advertise your event check out the Word Out Marketing Guide.


In order to provide services to HSU, vendors must provide insurance and endorsements  issued by an insurance company with AM Best rating of A:VII or higher or provided through  partial or total self-insurance acceptable to HSU. The following Certificates of Insurance and  Endorsements  must be furnished before the work begins: